My Doll Collection...My Dollection!

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Making Monster High Arms

While waiting for my custom Zombie Elsa to arrive, I got a few Monster High dolls for free off a local upcycle page. They were from a day home, so in pretty rough shape!

I thought they would be good dolls for practicing repainting and the like.  Plus, Ghoulia.  I can't get enough of Ghoulia, she's my favorite!



I haven't cleaned them all up, yet.  I started with this Spectra:

Poor Spectra.
All Clean.

The first attempt at making hands (with polymer clay), I made the hands and forearms separately, and glued them together after baking.  I also tried making molds for the hands, but it didn't work out quite as I thought (I know now silicone is better for that).

First attempt.  Hands kind of clunky and uneven.

Second attempt.  I molded the hands right on to the forearms this time.  I watched a YouTube video for hand making and tried that method.  Worked out better, but still need some practice!

The arms on Spectra.  I have not glued them on yet.  Contemplating trying again.

Fingers still a bit clunky looking, but better than the first try!

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. These are great!! I just realised that you are also the same person that posted Spectra's photo on the FB group! And I left a comment saying you shouldn't put them on permanently. That was me!! Hi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried making hands out of hot glue and play doh mould once. Lol it didn't work. The glue dried before it could even reach the ends of the fingers. That's why I just stuck with drink stirrers with hands on each ends and cut them out to size.

      Delete
    2. I hadn't thought of hot glue! I sure wish I had a 3D printer, ha ha! Would make these kinds of things a lot easier!

      Delete