My Doll Collection...My Dollection!

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

My First Re-root

Since I got my Pizzazz doll with doll pattern baldness, I've had intentions to fix her by rooting in the bald patch.  I've been wanting to try a re-root for a long time.

from giphy.com
I decided that I needed a practice victim client, first.  I put out an ISO on freecycle; and these are what was given to me:


I apologize I can't get this photo to rotate.  There's a brunette Barbie who appears to be Theresa, Pocahontas, and a no-name ugly dollar store doll.

Contestant #1

 While her hair IS really bad; I found her just ugly, and with no neck syndrome.  I saved her outfit and just threw her in the bin.

Contestant #2

Pocahontas' hair is a little tangled; but I *think*  I can save it.  I'll have a go at her another day.

Contestant #3

Theresa's hair was not tangled; but from the back I could tell she had had a custom cut:


Plus, I like her face.  I choose you!

I got started cutting her hair off.  I kept the longer pieces in a ziploc bag.


Then to chose the hair.  I looked through all the packages from Dolly Hair.  The Electric Banana is reserved for Pizzazz.  I had 5 colors to chose from (I ordered a grab bag, 5 random hair hanks for $10, I think it was).  I chose the purply color I thought went with her eyes.



Nabbed from the Google Images page

The hank was way too long for this doll; and didn't probably wasn't a full hank anyway.  So I cut it into two pieces (as even as I could) and hoped I would have enough to root the whole head.  It was sooo close to being enough.  I added some of her original hair to the front area where the old bangs used to be to fill in the spot:


I thought she could channel her inner Kimber from the Holograms (I've been watching Jem on Netflix lately) with a chunky, longer, spiky bang effect.  I decided it still wasn't full enough (I had been rooting more sparsely than I would have liked in order to ensure I had enough hair, didn't work though).  I caved and got another hank of hair.  A light pink this time.



I filled in the rest of the spots that were more thinly rooted.  I didn't use the whole hank.

Now my Theresa has pink highlight in her purple hair with a brown faux hawk.


Now just to wait for the glue to dry and I can style it.  I wish I had a more articulated body substitute right now.

A creepy photo just for you.
I also have a huge mess to clean up.  Ugh, doll hair strands everywhere!

Thanks for looking!


No comments:

Post a Comment