My Doll Collection...My Dollection!

Saturday, November 28, 2015

My First Review: "Fashion Girl" from Dollarama

I don't normally buy dolls from the dollar store, as I find them poor quality (as I'm sure most of you do).  But, I was browsing the toy aisle (shopping for my Operation Christmas Child shoe boxes), and these caught my attention.


I was first drawn in by the one with the pink hair (I'm a sucker for pink hair), and noticed their familiar face shape to the Ever After High dolls.  I decided I should look into these further.  For only $3 each, why the heck not.  There were a few different ones to choose from, and I picked another one that looked like had a decent outfit and hair.

The boxes are fairly simple, cardboard with a plastic window.  They could have come up with a title more exciting than "Fashion Girl".  Meh, what do you expect for $3 I guess.


The back of the box.  It shows pictures of other doll characters, but there are no names, back stories, or other descriptors.  


There's an illustration of a ring box on the front.  Maybe they are all engaged?  Or maybe they just like some bling.



I decided to start with the pink one.  The brush on the inside looks Ever After High-ish, but I don't own an Ever After High brush to know for sure.  She comes with a little purse.



Normally I just rip into doll boxes with wreckless abandon, but since this is my first review, I opted to be a little more careful.  She actually came out quite easily, the cardboard insert slipped right out.  Only one tie to snip around her waist.  The other tie was for the brush.



Out of the box, her purse is strapped to her hand with a small elastic.  Snip, snip!  
My apologies for the shadow.



The little purse.  It doesn't open.  Boo.  It reminds me of a cross between Little Red Riding Hood's basket and the apple from Snow White.



The brush.


The shoes are cute.  There are even little slits up the back to help get them on and off.



I could tell from the back of her head that her hair was sparsely rooted underneath the pig-tails.  I was too lazy to take it down.  Plus, I didn't want to mess up the cute curls.



The dress is very stiff, the outer layer seems to be a thin, sparkly vinyl.  The under layer is a softer fabric.  The stitching seems decent.


Since I only have two (rescued) EAH dolls, I stood her next to Raven Queen (in a dress and necklace made by me).


Her upper torso and arms reminded me of an older Bratz doll, so I got one out for comparison.  Pretty much identical upper body (I think, anyway).  Her arms are thinner than the Bratz, though.


She can wear the Bratz doll's dress.


Her feet are oddly small, though.  I tried Barbie shoes on her, but they were too big.  I wondered if they were the same as La Dee Da doll feet.


Nope...La Dee Da's are bigger.  Since my La Dee Da is a thrift shop find, she currently has no shoes to try and share.

Her blonde friend de-boxed the same way, and I wanted to check out her hair.  The rooting pattern is a bit strange to me, but overall her hair is thick, soft, and shiny. 



She has the same shoes as the other doll, just in a different color.  I left her bag strapped to her arm for the moment.



Fashion Girl only has 5 points of articulation.  Her knees don't bend and her head only moves side to side.

However, for $3, I don't think this EAH/Bratz hybrid is a bad doll.  Her face, hair, and accessories are cute, and I think any little girl would have fun playing with this (as long as she's not expecting EAH quality).  I think the 6+ age rating on the box is a bit much, I would think 3 or 4+ would be sufficient.

Thanks for looking!







1 comment: